18 Upper English Street
Refurbishment and restoration of existing building, new shop front to retained ground floor retail unit, and change of use to rear at ground floor, upper floors and attic to 3 x 2 bed apartments and 1 x bedsit apartment at No.18 Upper English Street, Armagh.
- 1864 – 1873 – Robert Walker is the occupier and John McWatters is the immediate lessor. In 1895, the occupier is J Garinder. The Belfast and Ulster Business Directory in 1890 lists a trader on English Street named ‘Gardiner J, Boot merchant English Street Armagh’.
- In the 1901 Irish Census, Thomas Gardiner, aged 34 appears to have a Boot & Shoe merchant and lives there with his wife Annie, aged 38, 2 daughters, Florence and Sarah and son Thomas.
- Around 1910, the building in Valuation Revision books is listed as ‘Vacant’
- 1912 – The business is known as ‘Young House’ and is listed as House, shop, offices and yard. It is still leased by Robert P McWatters.
- 1920-1931 – 1922, Margaret Magill is the occupier, listed as ‘House, shop, office and yard. She is followed by in 1927 Henry McGill. The lessor is now W McWatters.
- From 1960’s until just several years ago, the building was RJ Johnston Shoe Shop.