1 & 2 Gosford Place
Change of use from offices to 19 Apartments with associated alterations and extension, demolition work and associated site works including car park, railing, path and communal area, demolition of fire escape and concrete framed circular staircase and brick outhouse.
- Walter Ferris occupied this property with his wife, son and servant from 1876 where it is listed in Valuation revision books as ‘House, office and yard’
- Sir Richard Robinson was the lessor at the time.
- Walter Ferris owned a business selling Wholesale grocer & spirits in ‘Albert House’, Market street Armagh and the Business is listed in Ulster Directory as trading from 1852. The building still stands today and is now Dessies Clothes Shop.
- According to the Billhead in 1853 the shop sold ‘Tea, coffee, spices; genuine old Whiskey, Port and Sherry’. Source: Article by Sean Barden on Armagh’s Victorian Shops, History Armagh Publication.
- Walters Son William took over the business after returning from war.
- Valuation revision books 1936 – 1957 state that the building was leased to Armagh County Council in 1948 and Armagh County Health committee in 1956.