28-30 Upper English Street
Construction Cost £1.3m
Address 28-30 Upper English Street
Architect DA Architects
Refurbishment and restoration of the existing building, to include an extension to the rear at second and third floor levels and new shop front to provide one ground floor retail unit, three two bed apartments and two one bed apartments at no. 28 Upper English Street, Armagh.
- From 1893 to 1929, the building is listed in Valuation Revision Books as ‘Pub, House, Offices, Yard’. Wm Carter, 1884 to 1929 runs a business as described as a ‘Grocer’. (Belfast & Province of Ulster Directory) A Billhead from Armagh County Museum Collection dated 1879 provides the following info: ‘Bought of William Carter, Family Grocer, Tea, Wine & Spirit Merchant’.
- The immediate leaser is St Col Wm Cross, J.P, High Sheriff and a Col and Commander of the Armagh Light Militia. The Cross family built and lived at Dartan Hall, near Killylea and were landowners.
- William and his family live in the building and he is described according to Irish Census 1901 as a ‘Merchant’. William is 63 in 1901, his wife Isabella is aged 56, their son Charles aged 30 and daughter Margaret aged 20. They live with 4 servants.
- Charles Carter seems to take over the business around 1910 and is still listed as leasing the building in the Valuation revision book 1936 – 1957.
- In the 1960’s the business was a grocery store and was known as ‘The Milestone and ‘Quinn’s the Milestone Bar’ was upstairs and was also part of the building.
- ‘Armagh Back in the Day’ Facebook page – Memories of the Milestone Grocery Shop:
- I did a spell in the bacon counter!. First job was bagging tea and weighing spuds’.
- ‘Some of the workers in early 70s: Tommy Cox Manager, Agnes Cox ( Wife) Off license. Jimmy Mc Manus, Milestone Bar. Old John O’Farrell meat counter, Jim Connelly & Marie Ryan & Sue on the Till and Brian Mutagh the shop floor manager’