14 & 16 Upper English Street
Refurbishment of the two ground floor retail units with the conversion of the upper floors to 4No. Apartments. The works comprise the introduction of new shop fronts appropriate for a Conservation Area; Conservation of the remaining historic windows and the replacement of inappropriate windows with timber sliding sash; Re-rendering the front elevation with lime render; re-slating existing roofs with natural slate; Conservation of the very fine existing historic staircase.
14 Upper English street – from 1852 business types included a bakery for approx. 30years. The building was rented by the McParland family as a bakery and then the Corr family opened Tobacconist approx. (pic attached) until 1918. The Corr family in lived above the shop and in residence were Patrick and Ellen Corr, the parents, 5 children, a nurse and a domestic servant. (Census 1901) A grocer opened under the name of McKenna until approx. 1934. The building was owned by Rev Dan Gunn Browne from 1864 until his death in 1892 and then subsequently his daughter Beatrice Browne owned the building thereafter until 1931. (Source: Valuation Revision Book and Belfast and Ulster directory’s)
16 Upper English street – from 1864 for 40yrs until 1904 an established business called ‘Whites ‘Bookseller & bookbinder, stationer & newsagent, agent for Belfast newsletter and Belfast weekly news’ were an established business (Pic and bill head attached) Other business uses included Mrs Magill’s ‘Dress maker and milliner’ from approx.1924 to 1944. This building was also owned by Rev Dan Gunn Browne.