51 Upper English Street
Change of use of existing property from office space to 4 no (2 bedroom) flats. Works include refurbishment of the existing building, demolition of the existing 2 storey rear extension and construction of new 2 story rear extension in its place, parking to rear (for lower ground floor flat only), new external steps at lower ground floor level and all associated site works.
- 51 Upper English street was recorded as on the Valuation revision books as a ‘House office and yard’ – from 1864 to 1899
- Then it was recorded as a mixture of uses such as house, office and stores. The House was split on Valuation revision books as 51, 51A and 51B
- The owner for 40yrs was John Stephenson Riggs who rented the property out. Norton Riggs is then listed in Valuation revision books as Lessor.
- Occupants in the 1860s – 1920s includ John Stanley, Mr Hardy, Dr William Kerr
- For over 20 years a local GP, Dr William Kerr lived in the house.
- Around 1899, Valuation revision book state that the offices and yard were rented to The Urban District council and in 1920 the offices and yard were rented by RR Loudan who owned the Hotel next door to 51 Upper English Street.
Info about John S Riggs
- John S Riggs
- BORN 1816
- DIED 1897 (AGED 81)
- Buried St Marks Church of Ireland Armagh
- John Stephenson Riggs was a grocer, wine and spirits merchant in English Street Armagh City. John Stephenson Riggs was on numerous boards in Armagh including the Town Commissioners of Armagh around 1864 and Deputy Vic Chairman of Ulster Workhouse Charity in Armagh. (Belfast & Ulster Directory , PRONI Website)
- He was a member of St. Mark’s Parish Church.